A Uganda in which all girls and women effectively participate in sustainable development.
To enhance gender equity, equality and inclusion in education by influencing policies, nurturing attitudes and practices, and implementing interventions that positively influence girls’ education.
Forum for African Women Educationalists Uganda Chapter (FAWEU) is one of the 34 National Chapters of Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE), a pan African Non-governmental Organization (NGO) founded in 1992 by five women ministers of education to promote girls’ and women’s education in Africa. FAWE Uganda was established in 1997 with the goal of accelerating female participation in education and closing the gender gap within the education system at all levels in Uganda. FAWEU’s vision is “A Uganda in which all girls and women effectively participate in sustainable development.” Mission is “To enhance gender equity, equality and inclusion in education by influencing policies, nurturing attitudes and practices, and implementing interventions that positively influence girls’ education.”
The overall Goal is “Girls across Uganda are able to access quality education.” This is supported by the strategic objectives of; improved level of gender responsiveness in Education Sector policies for girls and women, enhanced adoption and integration of positive gender pedagogy practices at school level; improved access, retention and completion rates for girls in school and all levels of education; strengthen research and knowledge management systems to inform policies, new approaches and set pace for girls’ agenda in Uganda in addition to strengthening institutional development to efficiently and effectively deliver its mandate. The organizations work is embedded in four thematic areas of; policy influence for girl-child education, fostering positive practices and attitudes, FAWEU evolving into a one center for girl-child education and transform into a strong learning and gender responsive organization.
FAWEU is unique because of its inherent focus on girls and women’s education and development while working with both boys and men. We implement holistic interventions aimed at addressing root causes of problems facing communities i.e. school based projects are focused on guaranteeing a conducive learning environment through working closely with learners, teachers, school administrators and management committees. FAWEU has been in existence since 1997 and successfully implemented numerous innovative programs including; Adolescent Sexual, Reproductive Health and Rights, Violence against Children, Gender Equality and Equity, Convention on Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). In addition, to offering scholarships and social services in emergency situation – Resilience in Education. Projects are developed in a participatory manner involving affected communities from the design, implementation, supervision, and monitoring and evaluation. We work for the benefit of vulnerable women and girls, boys, the disabled and other socially marginalized groups in all regions and selected districts of Uganda.
FAWEU’s Strategic Objectives are as follows:
- SO1: To improve the level of gender responsiveness in education sector policies for girls and women in Uganda
- SO2: To enhance the adoption and integration of positive gender pedagogy practices at national, community and school level.
- SO3: To contribute to increased access to quality education, retention and completion by girls in school at all levels of education in Uganda.
- SO4: Strengthen research and knowledge management systems to inform policies, new approaches and set pace for girls’ agenda in Uganda.
- SO5: To strengthen the institutional capacity of FAWEU for efficient and effective delivery of services to stakeholders
Under this legal arrangement and in line with the FAWEU Constitution, the General Assembly is the supreme organ of the organization. FAWEU is governed by the Board of Directors who are elected from the FAWEU Membership.
The operation and relationship of FAWEU shall be guided by the following values system
- Respect: FAWEU and all its partners and allies honour and respect the rights and beliefs of our beneficiaries, partners, communities and our staff, diversity, treating others with dignity, equality and mutual trust,
- Professionalism: We strive to do our work with commitment, and promote the highest level of professionalism to our stakeholders.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for honouring our commitments to our staff and stakeholder by integrating both upward and downward accountability and feedback as well as ensuring the prudent use of and accounting for resources entrusted to us.
- Results Oriented: A clear focus on the outcomes and impact of our work in everything we do.
- Continuous Learning: We take the initiative to in improve our knowledge and ways of working through learning and continuously adopting new concepts and technologies or methods.
FAWEU is committed to promoting gender equity, equality and expanding women’s capabilities to engage actively in shaping development sustainably on a shared platform with men. The operation of the organization is guided by the following value system. Respect for all, professionalism, accountability, results oriented and continuous lifelong learning to efficiently and effectively deliver highly impactful programs.