COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIPS 2020/2021
COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIPS 2020/2021
FAWE has once again been nominated as an Agency to take part in the short-listing of scholarship applicants for the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC). Last year, the number of successful FAWE applications rose from eleven (11) in 2018 to twenty (20) in 2019, of which two (2) were from FAWE Uganda Chapter.
The Commonwealth Scholarships are for students from developing Commonwealth countries for Master’s (one-year), PhD, and split-site PhD study in the UK. The prospectus and selection criteria, along with full details of the scholarships and information on how to apply are available for candidates on the Commission’s website at http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/applicants/
Field(s) of study:
All subject areas are eligible for consideration, although the CSC’s selection criteria gives priority to those applications that demonstrate strong relevance to development.
Applicants should apply concurrently to FAWE Uganda by submitting a hard copy of the applicationfor nomination as well as fill in and submit the online version of the application via the Electronic Application System (EAS) by Wednesday 30th October 2019 (16.00 GMT). FAWE Uganda will not accept any applications after this deadline.
Applicants will be required to sign a bond with FAWE Uganda so that they give back through mentorship, research and volunteerism for 2 years after completion of their study.
FAWE Uganda shall only nominate female candidates and priority shall be given to;
- Candidates who are currently or in the past contributed to FAWE’s work, mission and vision.
- Past FAWE beneficiaries / FAWE scholarship alumni.
- Candidates who have contributed to the promotion of girl’s education, gender equity and equality in education in their current or previous engagements.
- Candidates with first degree in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are highly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates who in their application show commitment that they will contribute to FAWE’s vision and mission within their communities upon completion of the course
For an application to be eligible for consideration, applicants must include the following supporting documents. Applicants should send these documents online together with their application.
- Proof of citizenship or refugee status – uploaded to the online application system.
- Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications including to-date transcripts for any qualifications you are currently studying (with certified translations if not in English) –uploaded to the online application system.
- References from at least two individuals –Submitted directly by the referees to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request).
- Supporting statement from a proposed supervisor in the UK from at least one of the institutions named on your application form_ submitted directly by your proposed supervisor to the online application system (supervisors will be sent an email request) –only applies for PHD Applicants.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that her referees are able to complete the references by the deadline and that they receive the reference requests –Masters Applicants.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that her referees and proposed supervisor(s) are able to complete the references and supporting statements by the deadline and that they receive the reference and statement requests- PHD Applicants.
The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted by nominating agencies or outside the online application system.
All applicants will be expected to have completed the CSC application form online by Wednesday 30th October 2019. Information on how to use the EAS, including detailed guides, is available at http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/masters-scholarships/ (for Masters) http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/phd- scholarships-least-developed-countries-and-fragile-states/ (for PHD).
- Please note that when applying online, applicants should select FAWE as nominating agent. Last year some applicants did not follow these instructions and therefore could not be considered as FAWE applicants.
Attached please find the prospectus for more information.
In case of any clarification(s) on this scholarship process, kindly feel free to contact us.