Who We Are
FAWEU was launched in February 1997 and is part of a pan African organization, Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE) that was founded in 1992 and has 34 Chapters in Africa. It is legally registered in Uganda as a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) registration number S.5914/2089 with its own offices located at Plot 382 Bukoto, Magulu Close, Kampala. In broadening its operations, in 2005, FAWEU was registered as a Company Limited by Guarantee without share capital.
A Uganda in which all girls and women effectively participate in sustainable development.
To enhance gender equity, equality and inclusion in education by influencing policies, nurturing attitudes and practices, and implementing interventions that positively influence girls’ education.
FAWEU’s Strategic Objectives are as follows:
- SO1: To improve the level of gender responsiveness in education sector policies for girls and women in Uganda
- SO2: To enhance the adoption and integration of positive gender pedagogy practices at national, community and school level.
- SO3: To contribute to increased access to quality education, retention and completion by girls in school at all levels of education in Uganda.
- SO4: Strengthen research and knowledge management systems to inform policies, new approaches and set pace for girls’ agenda in Uganda.
- SO5: To strengthen the institutional capacity of FAWEU for efficient and effective delivery of services to stakeholders
Under this legal arrangement and in line with the FAWEU Constitution, the General Assembly is the supreme organ of the organization. FAWEU is governed by the Board of Directors who are elected from the FAWEU Membership.
The operation and relationship of FAWEU shall be guided by the following values system
- Respect: FAWEU and all its partners and allies honour and respect the rights and beliefs of our beneficiaries, partners, communities and our staff, diversity, treating others with dignity, equality and mutual trust,
- Professionalism: We strive to do our work with commitment, and promote the highest level of professionalism to our stakeholders.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for honouring our commitments to our staff and stakeholder by integrating both upward and downward accountability and feedback as well as ensuring the prudent use of and accounting for resources entrusted to us.
- Results Oriented: A clear focus on the outcomes and impact of our work in everything we do.
- Continuous Learning: We take the initiative to in improve our knowledge and ways of working through learning and continuously adopting new concepts and technologies or methods.